The Brain and Light Therapy
At the Harmonized Brain Centers our passion is to help our clients achieve their BEST BRAIN EVER by applying Drug Free, Non Invasive, Safe, Effective and Affordable modalities. Red Light and Near-infrared therapy is one of our modalities. Sometimes it is called Low Light Laser Therapy, Light Therapy or Photobiomodulation. Whatever you want to call it, it is using the light spectrum frequencies from 630 nanometers (nm) to 1,200 nm. For the best therapeutic effect the range we use is from 630 nm to 850 nm in our applications. Regenesis 3, PlatinumLED (BioMax series) and ClinicRed are the manufactures we use in our office for our applications. Light therapy has been around for many years and has more than 3,000 peer-reviewed studies investigating and verifying the benefits of this therapy. The PlatinumLED (BioMax) and the ClinicRed devises use combined frequencies while our Regenesis 3 works on the 850 nm frequency. As discussed below there are many uses for light therapy; however, our primary concern is help create the best environment for the brain to operate and the 850 nm frequency has been our frequency of choice for the brain at it penetrates the skull, actives the mitochondria in brain cells and increases blood flow.
The Therapeutic Spectrum:
The red light spectrum extends from approximately 620 nm to 750 nm which is visible to our eyes. The red light frequencies that have the most scientifically proven benefits are 630 nm and 660 nm. Near-infrared (invisible to our eyes) starts at 750 nm and extends all the way to 1,200 nm. Near-infrared frequencies that have been scientifically proven to yield benefits for humans include the 810 nm, 830 nm and 850 nm frequencies.
Frequencies outside of these ranges quickly decrease in their penetration and absorption capabilities. Not only this, but certain red and near-infrared frequencies are recognized as offering unique therapeutic and regenerative results for the body and brain. Various published scientific studies have shown that near-infrared in the lower range can penetrate the body and bones more effectively than higher frequencies. These two zones of absorption from 620nm - 660nm and 800nm-850nm are what's known as the "action zone". Although we are most concerned with deeper penetration with the Light Therapy to help the brain, discussed below are the benefits of each of the frequencies along with their benefits.
The 630nm Frequency (Red Light)
The 630nm frequency is ideal for targeting all manner of skin concerns. 630nm frequencies penetrate into the skin cells and sebaceous glands to rejuvenate the skin’s tone and texture by smoothing and evening out uneven pigmentation. This frequency has also been found to help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, and can also stimulate hair regrowth.
The 630nm frequency offers the following benefits:
· Reduced fine lines and wrinkles: In one study, the 630nm frequency was combined with other beauty treatments such as microneedling to create a statistically significant improvement in photodamage, fine lines and sagging.
· An improvement in skin disorders such as psoriasis: One study showed that the use of the 630nm frequency used in conjunction with hematoporphyrin derivative (HPD) helped to eradicate the symptoms associated with psoriasis within 17 days.
· Hair regrowth: Red light therapy containing the 630nm frequency has been proven to be a safe and effective method of stimulating hair growth in both men and women. One study hypothesized that the light stimulated stem cells in the hair follicle, encouraging the hair follicle into an anagen or growth phase.
· Healing of superficial skin cancers: Frequencies of 630nm have been shown to help in the treatment of non-melanoma skin cancers.
· The treatment of acne: The 630nm frequency has also been shown to help reduce inflammation and breakouts.
The 660nm Frequency (Red Light)
There is an abundance of literature outlining the benefits offered by the 660nm frequency. Penetrating just a little deeper than the 630nm frequency, the 660nm reaches into the entire range of the skin tissue to promote healing and regeneration.
Some of its diverse benefits include:
· Reduced training fatigue: The 660nm frequency teamed with the 830nm near-infrared frequency has been proven to delay the development of fatigue in the muscles, and enhance skeletal muscle performance.
· Reduced inflammation: In a study investigating the effects of red light therapy on pleurisy, the 660nm frequency was found to induce an anti-inflammatory effect.
· Improved bone healing: The 660nm frequency encourages resorption and formation in the bone cells around the location where repair is needed, without causing any change to the bone structure.
· Reduced swelling following injury: In one study, the 660 nm frequency was found to reduce both inflammation and swelling by reducing the number of inflammatory cells which lead to the formation of swelling.
· Reduced neuropathic pain: A study investigating sciatic nerve pain in rats found that the 660 nm frequency significantly helped to reduce pain.
· Accelerated wound healing: The 660 nm frequency has been proven to increase the formation of new blood vessels and enhance collagen deposition to help in the healing of wounds.
The 810nm Frequency (Near-infrared Light)
With an ability to extend through the skull into the brain, the 810nm frequency offers a unique array of neurological benefits. Many forward-thinking scientists are of the belief that light therapy for brain disorders will become a prominent medical treatment in the near future. Expect to reap the following benefits from the 810nm frequency:
· Improved healing and recovery: A study of soccer players showed that the 810nm frequency applied before activity enhanced muscular performance and post-exercise recovery.
· Accelerated wound healing: 810nm frequencies have been shown to help expedite wound healing, helping the tissue to granulate more rapidly.
· Improved recovery from stroke in certain patients: One study conducted among stroke patients showed that frequencies of 810nm provided neuroprotective benefits and improved recovery among sufferers of moderate to severe strokes. Five days after the stroke, there was significant improvement among those who had been treated with the 810nm light therapy, compared to those who hadn’t. Ninety days post-stroke, 70% of the treated patients had a successful outcome, compared with only 51% of the control group.
· Improved recovery from traumatic brain injury: 810nm has been proven in animal models to be particularly effective in fostering recovery from traumatic brain injuries, and reducing long-term neurological damage.
· Improvement in psychiatric disorders: Prescription drugs for psychiatric conditions have long been recognized as having a limited ability to assist individuals suffering from psychiatric conditions. What’s more, pharmacotherapeutic medication often carries a host of unwanted side effects, while near-infrared light therapy doesn’t. 810nm frequencies applied to the forehead have been shown to assist patients suffering from major depression and anxiety.
· Hair growth: Studies have shown the 810nm frequency can encourage significant hair growth in patients with androgenetic alopecia.
The 830nm Frequency (Near-infrared Light)
The 830nm frequency is not as readily absorbed by the body, therefore it is able to penetrate deeper through skin and tissue and into the bone. A greater quantity of photons are delivered into the tissue with the 830nm frequency.
· Accelerated healing and reduced infection: Like the 810nm frequency, 830nm accelerates healing in wounds of different severity and helps to ward off infection.
· Improved aesthetic outcomes following plastic surgery: Swift exposure to 830nm frequencies after aesthetic surgery hastens recovery, reduces downtime and enhances the results of surgery by reducing swelling, infection, bruising and pain, therefore leading to greater patient satisfaction.
· Increased “feel-good” endorphins: 830nm frequencies increases the release of endorphins.
· Improved bone repair and growth: An animal study demonstrated that 830nm light therapy improved bone repair by stimulating new bone growth.
· Faster return-to-play after injury: The ability to return-to-play as swiftly as possible after injury or trauma is a key concern for any amateur or professional athlete. 830nm LED light therapy has been proven to significantly and safely reduce the wait time before injured athletes can return to play.
The 850nm Frequency (Near-infrared Light)
In many cases, the 850nm amplifies the benefits provided by the 810nm and 830nm frequencies. This frequency has a range of therapeutic applications such as:
· Anti-inflammatory benefits: 850nm frequencies can help to reduce joint and muscle pain and diminish general inflammation in the body.
· Enhanced muscle recovery: A study observed the use of 850nm frequencies on athletes, and found that usage of the near-infrared light increased muscle mass after training, and decreased inflammation and oxidative stress in muscle biopsies.
· Healing of wounds in the skin: Lesions in the skin heal faster when exposed to 850nm frequency light therapy.
· Reduction of lines, wrinkles, and hyperpigmentation: 850nm can support the production of collagen, assisting with plumper, more radiant-looking skin, and a more uniform texture.
· Orthodontics and tooth alignment: The use of the 850nm frequency can foster the speedy realignment of teeth for patients undergoing orthodontics.
The benefits of Light Therapy are far reaching, have been studied for a long time with no side effects and have been proven to be effective. If you have suffered from a Traumatic Brain Injury, a minor concussion, have been overly stressed, anxious or depressed you might want to consider using Light Therapy in your recovery.
References: PlatinumLED website, Pubmed.gov (Low Light Laser Therapy, Photobiomodulation, red light therapy)Top of Form